Saturday, August 7, 2010

What will happen if I loose a judgment from a court case regarding $$ I owe from a credit card balance?

I owe $$$ from a credit card and have no way to pay. I believe they are going to go to court and sue me. What will happen? Can they garnish my wages?What will happen if I loose a judgment from a court case regarding $$ I owe from a credit card balance?
Yes, they can garnish your wages and put liens against any property you own.What will happen if I loose a judgment from a court case regarding $$ I owe from a credit card balance?
It sounds like you're not in court yet. Now would be a good time to try to find a non-profit credit counseling service in your area that can at least explore a deal for you to make some payments, the lender to reduce (or eliminate interest) and reduce or pay off the loan that way - then you never have to go to court and get a formal judgment against you.





If you do go to court and lose ...





The specific credit collection practices that can be used are regulated by both state and Federal government. For example, some states do not permit wage garnishment.





Probably your best bet if you lose, if a lawyer is representing you, ask the lawyer to negotiate a payment plan with the creditor. Even if you don't have a lawyer involved, you can still try to work out a payment plan. It's to your advantage because you avoid a lot of the collection hasse; it's to their advantage because a lot of the collection activities produce very few dollars.
If they actually go that far and get a judgement... yes, they can garnish your wages.





But before that happens you will receive legal papers in the mail so that you can be at the court for a hearing.





Usually they just turn it over to a collection agency and that agency has the habit to threaten you with a judgement or garnishment.


Which is usually just a bogus threat... to make you pay up.

No comments:

Post a Comment