Saturday, August 7, 2010

A debt collection company sued me over an old credit card debt. The case was dismissed yesterday. What now?

At the 2 previous court dates I had requested chain of assignments, accounting, and an original agreement -- none were ever provided. I'm not sure where to go from here. I know that they can file another lawsuit within a year. Is there anything I can do to deter another lawsuit and stop the calls (which already started today)?A debt collection company sued me over an old credit card debt. The case was dismissed yesterday. What now?
It's easy to stop the calls:





Send them a letter via Certified Mail + Return Receipt stating:





Per the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, I am requesting that you cease all communications with me about this alleged debt. This letter is being time stamped via Certified Mail and I can confirm receipt. I will pursue each subsequent phone call from your office with a $1,000 per incident penalty for Fair Debt Collection Practices Act violations.


--------------------------------


budhibbs.com has a wealth of info for dealing with sleazy debt collectorsA debt collection company sued me over an old credit card debt. The case was dismissed yesterday. What now?
If what you say is true, then they can still try to collect, but they'd be foolish to do so.
Congratulations.





I think the post above me got a good suggestion for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment