Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I am a victim of credit card fraud and forgery. Not a lot of money was taken. However,do I have a legal case?

I was recently defrauded by a multi billion dollar company. They didn't take much but I can prove that it was malicious. They authorized more than what I signed for and then signed my name. If they did not take a lot of money, less than $100, can I still sue them? More importantly, can I win something substantial? Or, am I wasting my time?I am a victim of credit card fraud and forgery. Not a lot of money was taken. However,do I have a legal case?
Filing a case in court usually costs around $200. A small claims court, however, might hear your complaint for a much smaller fee and award you the money if you have good evidence.





But, depending on how this money was taken from you, you might be barred from court by an arbitration clause in the agreement you signed. If so, you might have to seek payment through arbitration, which has its own fees.





If you really have good proof that this company intentionally ripped you off and you think they do it often, bring your case to a class action plaintiffs' firm. If they start a class action with you as the class representative, you could recover substantially more money than you lost.I am a victim of credit card fraud and forgery. Not a lot of money was taken. However,do I have a legal case?
Hopefully you filed a complaint with the credit card company. Also contact the Better Business Bureau and the Attorney General in their state and make a complaint. Other than that, suing them would be hard because they probably have dozens of high paid lawyers on retainer, so unless you know one who would take your case for free you are probably wasting your time.
This website www.ic3.gov The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).





You can file a complaint in there. However if this does goes to court, there are big chances u will probaly loose cus im sure they have tons of top lawyers in speed dial :p
Jack,





You should be able to recoup for your time and expenses.





Also, your state may allow for punitive damages as well.





';Ranger';
Credit card fraud and forgery is a felony even if they don't get away with stealing ONE PENNY!!!
You're wasting your time
Definitely take them to court. They need to be shown that they can't get away with stealing other people's money.





I'd love to steal just 25 cents from 4 million people. Who's going to miss 25 cents?





.
You could sue them, yes, but the cost of the trial would far exceed anything you'd be awarded. It would be a waste of time and money. Feel free to report them to the better business bureau so that they can be investigated. Suing them for $100 isn't worth the time nor the money though.

No comments:

Post a Comment